Saturday, September 4, 2010

purple and orange baby room?

Two months to go and I only last week made some decisions about the baby room. I originally thought I'd just leave it white and make the rest of the room cute with colorful accessories. I always hesitate to alter the rentals I live in for fear that I won't stay long, but the nesting must have hit full force last weekend when I got back from two weeks away. One week later and I've made some strides in the room that has been primarily a dumping ground since we moved in in April.

We moved the crib to an an inside wall, and the dresser closer to the outlet (where the crib had temporarily been placed). We bought some wooden shelves from Fred Meyer, and some really cute drapery fabric with the light-blocking fabric ($2.50/yard!) to go with it. I also decided last week that I would indeed paint the room, so I've been getting paint swatches and looking up color schemes.

I'm pretty set on painting the walls a light orange - not too peachy or yellow, which turns out to be a hard thing! I found this website today giving examples of orange room designs - this is just one (by Maria Killam) of many beautiful photos:



I like knowing the meaning & emotions some folks associate with particular colors, so I checked out orange and found the following:

"Orange, being the combination of red and yellow...exudes warmth, acts as an appetite stimulant and spreads exuberance. ...it gives an emotional uplift."

"Requires the eye to focus, therefore objects seem closer and larger."

I'll post a before and after picture once I get going on the actual work - we have two great friends visiting soon who've offered to help us paint. I'm really excited - it'll be the first room I've ever designed!



Also, check out this furniture! It makes me realize I could potentially coordinate all of the colors on the paint samples...

No comments: